Nadja shares a hearty vegetarian pasta recipe that is both decadent and healthy. Learn step by step, how to make breaded portobello mushroom cutlets served over Holista Spaghetti.
Makes 4 servings
- Mix together flour, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and pepper in a bowl and place in a shallow plate.
- Whisk eggs and water together in a wide bowl
- Place breadcrumbs in a large shallow plate or bowl.
- Using a spoon, scrape the dark gills from each mushroom bottom. Rinse well and pat dry on a paper towel.
- Cut each mushroom in half and cut down the center stem.
- One at a time, dip each mushroom piece into the flour and lightly cover each side with flour.
- Then dip the mushroom into the egg mixture, allowing the excess egg to drip off.
- Then dredge into the breadcrumb mixture to coat.
- Place breaded cutlets on a baking sheet to wait while oil is heating
- Heat oil (vegetable & olive oil) in a large heavy skillet or electric pan. There should be enough oil in the pan for the cutlets to “swim”.
- When the oil is hot, place one or two cutlets in the skillet at a time, being careful not to crowd the cutlets.
- Fry first side until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn cutlets over with a spatula, being careful not to splatter hot oil.
- Fry on the second side until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- If you have more cutlets to fry, then place finished cutlets in a piece of foil and keep warm in the oven at 250°F while you continue to fry up the rest of the cutlets.
- Warm tomato sauce
- In a medium or large pot, add Spaghetti to boiling water. Return to a rapid boil and cook spaghetti for 3 minutes (ala dente). Drain.
- Divide spaghetti evenly between 4 plates. Top with warm tomato sauce.
- Place 2 mushroom cutlet halves on top of each plate.
- Decorate with fresh basil.
- Serve and Enjoy!