Noelle's Low GI Noodle Vietnamese Pho
This Fall, Warm up with a Vietnamese staple. A Simple and Tasty Low GI Noodle Phở that will warm you up and help keep you feeling well.
By: Noelle, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
Makes 4 servings
- 8 oz (approx.1/2 package) Holista Low GI Spaghetti
- 2 star anise pods*
- 8 cups unsalted or low sodium beef broth
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 3 inch piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. fish sauce
- 12 oz. eye of round beef, or pork ribs, sliced 1/8 inch thick**
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 4 scallions cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup of cilantro leaves
- 4 lime wedges
- Optional: Siracha and/or hoisin
- 490 calories,
- 13g fat,
- 2.5g saturated fa,
- 50mg cholesterol
- 370mg sodium
- 57g carbohydrate
- 4g fiber
- 1g sugar,
- 35g protein
- 55% vitamin A
- 80% vitamin C
- 9% Calcium,
- 40% Iron.
A few things before you begin:
- *If you are in a bind, and cannot find star anise, use ¼ tsp. fennel seeds. You do not want to omit the flavor star anise adds to the soup.
- **Freeze beef or pork for one hour before preparation to make it easier to slice thin.
- Vegetarian: Use mushroom or vegetable broth. Substitute king trumpet mushrooms, sliced thin, for the beef or pork. You can also use tofu.
- Start out by toasting the star anise pods or fennel seeds until fragrant in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add broth, ginger, garlic, and onion, increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While soup simmers you can slice jalapeno, cut scallions, chop cilantro and divide rinsed bean sprouts among the bowls. If you are having one serving, just add a half-cup of bean sprouts to your bowl.
- Remove the star anise pods from the soup after simmering. Stir in soy and fish sauces.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for your noodles. Holista noodles cook in 3 minutes, which is the same amount of time it will take your beef to cook. After adding the noodles to the boiling water, immediately add the sliced beef to the soup.
- Drain your noodles when they are done, and divide among the bowls. Ladle soup over noodles and bean sprouts.
- Top with scallions, jalapenos, cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Option to add Siracha and hoisin, or keep these on the side for dipping your beef/pork or mushroom.